That's right, Sony Music Entertainment has been the latest major corporate entity knighted within the “swag” code of honor. So from now think of Odd Future as Odd Future Records (since that's where all the mulah will rest), which is officially an offshoot of RED, itself an “independent” offshoot of Sony. What does this mean?
– More money for Tyler and crew.
– More parental advisory stickers at your nearest Best Buy.
– Hopefully a trust fund for Earl.
– A moratorium on saying how “punk” these punks are.
– Also, according to their manager Chris Clancy, this is what it actually means:
“It’s based on getting the distribution deal we’ve always envisioned that allows the group to “sign themselves” to their own company and keep their masters. They will have 100% creative control of all aspects of their music, art, and release schedule with no 3rd party participation in outside business. Freedom and ownership was the whole point. Red and Sony know that its in everyone’s best interest to maintain the group’s authenticity and control. They built it, they deserve it. There’s no cheesy hooks or fluorescent liquor product placements in the works.. It’s about to be fun.. and different.. “
Good for Odd Future and all, but who else thinks that stinks of PR fuckery?